Interview With Andy Smith, Bassist For Lucifer's Hammer.





Michigan is an odd duck when it comes to music. Aside from Motown, my home state has never had a lot of good bands. Sure, there were some ground-breaking bands, but outside of Detroit there weren't many, even when it came to Metal. But what the state did always have is the innovators. Iggy Pop and The Stooges, MC5, Negative Approach and more. It is the same way with metal. We didn’t have a slew of great metal bands, but bands like Repulsion, Acid Witch, Summon and more crawled out of the mitten’s primordial musical filth to create something new. One of the best to do so was Lucifer’s Hammer, a black/death metal band that originated in Lansing, Michigan. Forming in 1987 they were among the first bands to release black metal albums in the U.S. I absolutely love this band and have all of their albums on CD and vinyl as well as their “The Burning Church” EP on cassette. Their bassist Andy Smith agreed to do an interview for me, so sit back and enjoy these tales from a man that was an integral part of the early U.S. Black Metal scene.


Britton: Hello, Andy. Thank you for agreeing to do an interview. First off, for those that don’t know, why don’t you tell us who you are and what you did and do in the metal world.


Andy: I was just a big fan! My parents were into rock, and my brother was seven years older than me, so he got me into Kiss, Priest, Nugent. Etc., and took me to my first concerts.


Britton. Let’s start from the beginning. The band started in 1987. What type of music were you guys creating at the time?


Andy: We were listening to a lot of Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Venom and all that stuff so we were aiming for something like that.


Britton: You were also in Masochist, also one of the very first black metal bands in the U.S. Can you tell me a bit about that band and your role in it?


Andy: When Jeff left, he started Masochist and asked me to play bass. We did one demo together called "The Satanic Baptism”.


Britton: I see Lucifer’s Hammer is now split up. I thought you guys were still together and playing shows a few years back, but apparently, I was wrong. Can you tell us about the split?


Andy: I became busy and wasn’t writing as much and the sound just wasn't going the exact direction I wanted. It started getting too melodic for me, so I was done.


Britton: Did you play in other bands aside from Masochist and Lucifer’s Hammer? Do you play in any now?


Andy: Yeah, I was in a couple bands in high school. I named one of them “1st Venom”! Another was Headhunter that did one demo.


Britton: While I love everything Lucifer’s Hammer released, I am especially fond of “The Burning Church” EP. That EP has such a dark, evil and mesmerizing atmosphere. What is your favorite Lucifer’s Hammer release and why?


Andy: I really wish more of the songs that Jeff wrote were recorded in the studio! “Rites Of Lucifer” is a live bonus track on the “Hymns To The Moon” reissue that is probably my favorite Lucifer’s Hammer song. But “Decent Into Beyond” and “The Burning Church”. I would like to see “The Mist Of Time” reissued!

 

Britton: Do you still get along and talk to the other members of the Band? Is there any chance of doing some shows at any time?


Andy: Yes, I consider them Metal Brothers forever! I don’t see any of them hardly. There is no chance of any shows. Two of the 3 guitar players we had have died. I doubt we could talk Todd into returning to vocals, unfortunately.


Britton: Most of the Lucifer’s Hammer albums and “The Burning Church” demo was reissued on vinyl a few years back. Thanks to you, I snagged them all! How did these reissues come about?


Andy: Andy John had contacted me about doing reissues and got everything hooked up with Nuclear War Now. Many thanks to Andy John and Yosuki (N.W.N.). “Mists Of Time” and “Ghosts Of Fall” have yet to be reissued. (Editor’s note: I know some label guys are on my Facebook page. Reissue these great albums now!).


Britton: I’ve always wanted to know what happened to the show you guys were supposed to do with Gutted at The Independent Underground in Saginaw, Michigan. This was like the mid 90’s or so. I had heard Oppressor played there a bit before and neighbors were upset because Oppressor was so loud and they had the Gutted/Lucifer’s Hammer show cancelled because it violated noise ordinances. It was literally hours before that I was informed it was cancelled and I bought two tickets for my cousin and I. The weird thing was I was at home that night and the guy on Z93 asked how everyone was doing at the show. I even heard him say it was a great show and it never happened. Lol. What really happened? I can’t remember the owner's name, but I know he had to refund Gutted's money due to a contract. That put him out of business even though they asked people to spend their refunded money at the store to help keep them open. 


Andy: We did play a show at that place. It was a record store with a warehouse in back. I think Exploding Zombies played too. The guy that had the store also had Arctic Circle Records and was going to do a 7” for us, but he suddenly disappeared forever… (Editor’s note: The plot thickens. We were told it was cancelled, but this show happened? Maybe this was a different show. I know Gutted headlined the one we bought tickets for.) 



Britton: Now for some more personal questions. What made a young Andy Smith decide to start becoming a musician? Did you pick bass right off the bat?


Andy: When I was growing up, there was always Rock And Roll. My parents would blast the stereo; my brother was always blasting his. He bought me my first guitar and amp, even my first leather jacket.


Britton: How did you meet the other guys in the band?


Andy: Jeff had come to try out for a band I was in called Headhunter, and he talked me into joining Lucifer’s Hammer to complete the band.


Britton: Where was your first live show with Lucifer’s Hammer?


Andy: Our first show was surely after rehearsal at Metal Mom’s. We would always practice and a party would end up happening most weekends.

Britton: How did you get involved with Masochist?


Andy: Jeff asked me to play for Masochist when he quit Lucifer’s Hammer, so I did. It was just him and I. Of course we did the “Satanic Baptism” demo, a lot of photos and tons of alcohol!


Britton: What are your favorite albums of all time and what is your favorite release by Lucifer’s Hammer?


Andy: “Ride The Lightning”, “Speak Of The Devil”, “Live Undead”, “Hell Awaits”, “Reign In Blood”, Alice Cooper “Special Forces”, Ted Nugent “Scream Dream”, Archgoat “Apocalyptic Triumphator”. Lots of Mercyful Fate, Kiss, Priest, Black Sabbath and Dark Angel “Darkness Descends”.


Britton: What do you do for a living and what are your hobbies?


Andy: I’m a machinist and make heart pumps out of titanium. I like riding around on my Harley. I love gardening, cooking, football…




Britton: Do you think there is ever a chance to get the band back together again, even for just a show or two?


Andy: No, it’s not possible without Todd on vocals.


Britton: Well, we have come to the end of the interview. I personally want to thank you for our (online) friendship. You have always been great to me. I also want to thank you and the other guys in the band for giving us so much great music for almost forty years. I leave this last space for you to touch on anything I may have missed!


Andy: Thank YOU for the support and for all you do for metal! R.I.P Jeff Elrod and Mike Seabrook. Thanks again, and best of luck, Britton!


I have a link to the Nuclear War Now! Bandcamp page for "The Burning Church" that you can listen to in its entirety. You can also find two more of the band's reissues there.


"The Burning Church" Bandcamp Page.

Blasted By Britton Blog.

Blasted By Britton Facebook.




Comments