Album Title: Megadeth
Tracklist:
Tipping Point
I Don’t Care
Hey, God?
Let There Be Shred
Puppet Parade
Another Bad Day
Made To Kill
Obey The Call
I Am War
The Last Note
Ride The Lightning (Bonus)
Release Date: January 23, 2026
Running Time: 47:13
Rating: 10/10
Label: BLKIIBLK
Version Reviewed: Jewel Case CD
Band Members:
Dave Mustaine - Guitars, Vocals, Songwriting, Lyrics
James Lomenzo - Bass, Songwriting On Tracks 7 And 9
Dirk Verbeuren - Drums, Songwriting On Tracks 4, 5, 7 and 8
Teemu Mantysaari - Guitars, Songwriting On Tracks 1 And 3-10
Additional Album Credits:
Produced By Dave Mustaine And Chris Rakestraw
Engineered By Chris Rakestraw And Dave Mustaine
Additional Production And Engineer - Teemu Mantysari
Assistant Engineers - Isabel Caballero And Campbell Young
Additional Recording By Steve Fisher And Mathias Sorum At One-On-One Studios
Mixed By Matt Hyde At The Hydeaway
Mastered By Ted Jensen At Sterling Sound Edgewater
Lacquers And Additional Album Production Chris Grainger At Sterling Sound , Nashville
Artwork And Album Design By Blake Armstrong
Band Photo By Ross Halfin
Cover Logo Render By Roddy Navarro
I didn't get into Megadeth on the debut album, but I got into them on “Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying” and became just as much of a fan of the band as I was a fan of Metallica at the time. So many people were pissed that Dave was kicked out of Metallica (Including Dave!), but I was fine with it. I figured where once we had one great Thrash Metal band, now we had two. In my opinion the early Megadeth albums were slightly better than the early Metallica albums. And later in their careers Megadeth at least released an album here and there that I liked whereas Metallica hasn’t released a good album in decades. How does “Megadeth”, supposedly the band’s last album, compare to their past output? Does it fall flat or become a very worthy way to end the band’s discography?
Dave can rest assured that “Megadeth” is proof positive that the music he makes can put the Metallica boys to shame. This album absolutely rules and there’s enough and still be good. h kickass riffs, solos and melodies to spread across five other band’s albums. I remember when people asked Dave what Megadeth will sound like before “Killing Is My Business… And Business Is Good!” came out, he simply said he was going to record music that was faster than anything Metallica ever did, and he accomplished that! With “Megadeth” the band i sjut as fast n spots on the album as “Killing Is My Business…” was, and tracks like “Let There Be Shred” have riffs that sound like Dave wrote for the “Whiplash” album. Dave’s great vocals… Yes, I think Dave’s vocals are great. Does he sound like a cat while he sings? Yeah, kind of. An evil, sneering cat that is instantly recognizable even if you hear a tiny snippet of his voice. The drums and bass are fine-tuned instruments of Thrash, and the entire album sounds great due to a great production. The album has sort of a typical Megadeth flow being fast, mid-paced and slow all the way through. It definitely is faster and heavier than anything they have done since the 80’s though. The lyrics touch up topics such as not giving a fuck, Metal, religion, greed. war and more.
The artwork is rather simple in a minimalist sort of style, showing Vic Rattlehead dressed in a fancy suit while he is engulfed in flames on his right side. He doesn’t give a shit; he’s even making sure his tie is straight! Inside of the booklet you will find all of the band and album information, all the lyrics, a band photo and more.
What can I say about Megadeth? In my opinion, without Dave, there would be no Thrash Metal as we know it. I don’t really think this is the last album we will see from the band, but if it is “Megadeth” is about the best thing the band could give us as a parting gift. I’ve been into Megadeth for forty years or so and to think there will be no more is sad. Dave can retire knowing he did well with his music.
As always, I like to ask my readers to support the bands, labels and artists by buying the physical copies of their albums or by visiting their Bandcamp pages and supporting them there.

No comments:
Post a Comment