Review Of "Prior Convictions", The Newest Alcatrazz Album.
Band Name: Alcatrazz
Album Title: Prior Convictions
Tracklist:
Transylvanian Requiem
Stand And Wait Your Turn
Jet To Jet
Starr Carr Lane
Hiroshima Mon Amour
Island Into The Sun
Too Young To Die, Too Drunk To Live
God Blessed Video
Skyfire
General Hospital
Kree Nakoorie
Running Time: 48:56
Release Date: November 7, 2025
Rating: 9.5//10
Label: Bravewords Records/GLM Artists
Version Reviewed: Jewel Case CD
Band Members:
Giles Lavery - Vocals
Joe Stump - Guitars
Jimmy Waldo - Keyboards
Gary Shea - Bass
Mark Benquechea - Drums
Additional Musician:
Jakob Galwas - Drums On Track 2
Additional Album Info:
Produced By Giles Lavery And Jimmy Waldo
Mixed And Mastered By Andy Haller
Alcatrazz has been a band that’s been around since their debut album came out in 1983. I never considered myself a big fan for some reason. Not because I didn’t like them. I mean, I've had their second album “Disturbing The Peace” since the mid-80’s and listened to it quite often. It’s just a situation where you know… so little time and so many bands. I decided to pick up their newest CD and see what the band is up to these days. I am happy to report, they’ve been up to a whole lot of good!
My favorite genres of music are Thrash, Death and Black Metal, in that order for the most part but I love other genres too. “Prior Convictions” is part Hard Rock, Part Traditional Heavy Metal, part Shred music and even fans of Power Metal would find a lot on the album to love. I love all of those genres as well. All of the songs here range from 80’s styled Hard Rock all the way to fast, balls-out Shred Metal. These guys are all very professional musicians and the songwriting here is great. Joe Stump impressed the hell out of me with his insane guitarwork. My fingers would knot into useless sausage phalanges trying to move them that fast! Keyboardist Jimmy Waldo injects the whole album with 80’s styled airy keyboards and at times an Hammond organ sound that really reminds me of old Deep Purple and early Ozzy Osbourne. Bassist Gary Shea holds up the bottom end of things with deep, rich bass sounds and rumbling acrobatics. The drums are phenomenal and vocalist Giles Lavery (Who also sang for Jack Starr and Warlord!) is in top form with a vocal style that ranges from Rock, Traditional Heavy Metal and a more Hair Metal style. He truly is a great vocalist. Unfortunately, the lyrics are not included in the booklet aside from one track, but that’s no big deal as you can easily hear what Giles is singing at all times anyway. The production is great and runs that fine line between sounding like an old, dirty, raw Metal album and a more modern sounding album. No complaints in that department!
I’m old. Like 55 years old and I feel old and I feel tired and worn out. The guys in Alcatrazz are older and can show us young whipper snappers that age has nothing to do with talent or prowess. “Prior Convictions” is a damn fine album that I fully enjoyed and it’s an album they all should feel proud of making. My old Metal heart beats proud!
As always, I like to ask my readers to support the bands, labels and artists by purchasing the physical copies of the albums you love, or by visiting their Bandcamp pages and supporting them there.
The Official Alcatrazz Facebook Page.
The Official Alcatrazz Website.
The Official Bravewords Facebook Page.
The Official Bravewords Bandcamp Page.
The Official Bravewords Website.
The Official Blasted By Britton Blog.
The Official Blasted By Britton Facebook Page.

Comments
Post a Comment